My pastor gave a sermon last week on stress. It was very fitting given the week most of us had had. However, take the events of April 27th out and it was still very fitting because we all deal with stress on a daily basis.
The sermon was very good with lots of visuals with real eggs (long story…ask if you want to know). After much work trying to summarize, paraphrase, and write about what I got out of the sermon I finally figured out that I should just post my notes since I just kept typing them.
Sometimes it is not the amount of stress we have but the way we handle it.
If you could change X (insert whatever you are stressing about here), you probably already would have so don’t stress about it.
Stress is a state of mental and emotional strain or tension resulting from adverse or very demanding circumstances.
– Need to teach our kids how to carry the “eggs” not that if there were no “eggs” things would be ok.
*eggs = stress (Paul’s visual analogy)
– Don’t let outside world impact inside feelings.
“Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in me. (John 14:1 ESV)
• My “heart is troubled” when I am not trusting God.
– Real trust happens before I know the end results.
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid. (John 14:27 ESV)
• Peace is not earned it is given.
• Peace and comfort are not the same thing.
• Fear attacks my heart.
– If we ever feel overwhelmed and afraid that is not from God. It is a lack of trust from God.
Even youths shall faint and be weary, and young men shall fall exhausted; but they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint. (Isaiah 40:30, 31 ESV)
• I am most susceptible to temptation when I am tired and worn out.
– The chief enemy to peace is busyness. Busyness= us being tired and worn out. Satan uses that to tempt us.
• I can overcome fear and alleviate stress by first putting my hope in God.
– There is nothing else and no one else that I am looking for to “bail me out”.
Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” (Matthew 11:28-30 ESV)
• Hope correctly applied gives true rest.
– to experience spiritual rest must trust that God is present in my life.
• Allowing God to carry your burden is a process of learning God is both gentle and humble in heart.
– God is completely merciful and completely just.
• Someone/something will be your boss, you just get to pick who/what this is.
Trust in the Lord, and do good; dwell in the land and befriend faithfulness. Delight yourself in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the Lord; trust in him, and he will act. He will bring forth your righteousness as the light, and your justice as the noonday. Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him; fret not yourself over the one who prospers in his way, over the man who carries out evil devices! (Psalm 37:3-7 ESV)
• When I am not living in stress I can do good things with God.
• When I find pleasure in God, then I also find pleasure in life.
Everyone has stress. The question is, “how will I deal with it today?”
Also you should be able to go here to listen to a podcast of the sermon if that interests you.
Hope all of this is as much assistance to you in your stress management as it was to me.